Stampe & Vertongen Manufacturing

Together with his old wartime friend Maurice Vertongen, Stampe developed plans for a flying school.  Vertongen took over the financial side of the venture by raising the necessary start-up capital for the company.  Unfortunately, in the years after WWI, there were hardly any aircraft available for training purposes, so Jean Stampe decided to build his own plane.
Another wartime friend and pilot named Maurice Boel introduced Stampe and Vertongen to the Belgian aircraft engineer Alfred Renard.  Renard was a certified aircraft designer, who integrated design characteristics from the German Bücker 131 Jungmann and the English de Havilland Tiger Moth to create a training biplane for the army. (Aerial surveillance, bombing techniques, later blind flight training)
The search for the ideal site for his flying school led Stampe to Antwerp, where he found a suitable location in Duerne.  This is where the flying school opened its doors in October of 1923. In its first twelve months of business, the school trained 54 military pilots and two civilians.
In 1927, Stampe & Vertongen Aircraft Construction became the Belgian agent of the English de Havilland Company.  Now English “60 Dh” Moth biplanes could be sold and serviced in Belgium.

Photo top left: Stampe & Vertongen Aircraft Construction
Photo top right: first assembly plant of Constructions Aéronautiques J.Stampe & M.Vertongen
Photo bottom left: financier Maurice Vertongen
Photo bottom right: de Havilland “60 Dh” Moth biplane